Oath Ceremony

If USCIS grants me naturalization, when will I become a citizen?

You become a citizen as soon as you take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States in a formal naturalization ceremony. In some places, you can choose to take the Oath the same day as your interview. If that option is not available, or if you prefer a ceremony at a later date, USCIS will notify you of the ceremony date with a "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445).

When and where is my oath ceremony?

USCIS will mail you a notice telling you when and where your oath ceremony will be. In some cases you will be given your ceremony date the same day you pass the interview exam.

What do I have to take to my oath ceremony?

When you arrive at your oath ceremony, you:

  • Must return your Permanent Resident Card to USCIS
  • Must bring with you the questions on Form N-445, which is sent with your oath ceremony date letter. These must be filled out before arriving at your oath ceremony. Do not sign the form until instructed by an officer the day of your ceremony.

Your appointment letter may list additional documents that you will need to bring with you.
Once you have taken the oath, you will receive your Certificate of Naturalization.

What does the oath require me to say?

The Oath of Allegiance requires you to say the following:

  • I will renounce foreign allegiances
  • I will support the Constitution of the United States
  • I will serve the United States as needed, by
    • Fighting in the armed forces, or
    • Performing non-combatant service in the U.S. armed forces, or
    • Performing civilian service for the U.S.

What should I do if I cannot go to my oath ceremony?

If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445) that you received to your local USCIS office. Include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local USCIS office will reschedule you and send you a new "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445) to tell you when your ceremony will be.

What do I do if I lose my Certificate of Naturalization? What do I use as proof of citizenship if I do not have my certificate?

You may get a new Certificate of Naturalization by submitting an "Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document" (Form N-565) to USCIS. You may request Form N-565 by calling the USCIS Forms Line (1-800-870-3676), or by downloading the form at www.uscis.gov. Submit this form with the fee to the Nebraska or Texas Service Center, depending on which Service Center has jurisdiction over your residence.

If you have a U.S. passport as, you may use it evidence of citizenship while you wait for a replacement certificate. It is strongly recommended that you apply for a passport as soon as you become a citizen.