After Submitting an Application

How do I find out the status of my naturalization application?

You may check the status of your naturalization application by visiting or by calling Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY: 1-800-767-1833).

During my application processing period can I leave the United States?

Yes, you can leave the United States as long as your permanent residency is not expired and you do not have any serious crimes on your record.

What if I was outside the United States for six months or longer?

Your time as a continuous resident may be negatively affected. You will have to prove that you continued to live, work and/or have ties to the U.S. (for example, paid taxes) while you were away.