Applying for Naturalization

Where do I file my naturalization application?

You should send your completed "Application of Naturalization" (Form N-400) to the appropriate USCIS Lockbox Facility that serves your area.

Remember to make a copy of your application. Do not send original documents with your application unless it is stated that an original is required. Always make copies of all materials you send to USCIS.

I have a disability. Will USCIS help me, or make accommodations for me?

USCIS will make accommodations for applicants with disabilities in order to demonstrate their eligibility in the naturalization process.

For example, if you use a wheelchair, USCIS will make sure you can be fingerprinted, interviewed, and sworn in at a location that is wheelchair accessible. If you are hearing impaired, the officer conducting your interview will speak loudly and slowly, or they will work with you to arrange for an American Sign Language interpreter. If you require an American Sign Language interpreter at the oath ceremony, please indicate that in your Form N-400 in the section where you are asked if you need an accommodation for a disability. If you use a service animal such as a guide dog, your animal may come with you to your interview and oath ceremony.

If you know in advance that you will need some kind of accommodation, write a letter explaining what you will need and send it to the USCIS district office that will interview you. If you have a physical or developmental disability or a mental impairment that makes it difficult for you to acquire or demonstrate the required knowledge of English and civics, you may be eligible for an exemption of those requirements.  To request an exemption, you must file a "Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions" (Form N-648).

How much does the Naturalization process cost?

The cost is $595.00 for the application and $85.00 for the biometrics for a total of $680.00.

How can I pay my application fee?

You must send the fee with your application. Pay the fee with a check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank payable to Department of Homeland Security. Do not use initials. Do not send cash.

Application fees are not refundable.

How long will it take to become naturalized?

The time it takes to become naturalized varies by location. USCIS is continuing to modernize and improve the naturalization process and is working to decrease the time it takes to an average of six months after the N-400 application is filed.

Can I change my name when I naturalize?

The USCIS does not have the authority to change a person's name when that person naturalizes. Therefore, there are only two ways that USCIS can issue your Certificate of Naturalization under a new name:

1.     If you present proof that you have already changed your name according to the legal requirements that apply to persons living in your State. USCIS can issue the Certificate of Naturalization with your new name. Such proof might include a marriage certificate or divorce decree showing that you changed your name when you married or divorced. It might also include some other State court order establishing that you changed your name,

2.     If you are going to take the Oath of Allegiance at a Naturalization Ceremony that is held in Court, you may ask the Court to change your name. If the Court grants your request, your new name will appear on your Certificate of Naturalization.