Documents Checklist

Naturalization applicants must establish that they meet all the requirements for naturalization. In order to successfully demonstrate that you meet all the requirements, you should gather the following documents and/or information requested:



Identification Documents Required

 □ Legal Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
 □ Social Security Card 
 □ Driver's License or State Issued Identification Card
If your current legal name is different from the name on your Legal Permanent Residency Card, obtain thedocument that legally changed your name such as: marriage certificate (S), divorce decrees(S), or other documents.


 Personal History Information Required
 Gather information about your parents, including:

                  □ Legal name  

                  □ Date of birth   

                  □ Country of birth  

                  □ Immigration status

Gather a list of all the addresses where you have lived during the last 5 years, including:

                  □ Corresponding dates lived in each address


Gather a list of all Employer and/or Schools you have attended during the last 5 years, including:

                  □ Employer or School Name  

                  □ Addresses  

                  □ Occupation  

                  □ Corresponding dates employed/attended

Gather a list of all your children names (biological, adopted, stepchildren), including:

                  □ Date of birth  

                  □ Country of birth 

                  □ Home Address  

                  □USCIS A-Number (if applicable)

 Marital History Information & Documentation Required

You MUST provide this information for marriages in ANY part of the world.

If you are currently married, gather general information about your current spouse, including:

                  □ Legal name and nicknames (including maiden name)  

                  □ Date of birth   

                  □ Date of marriage   

                  □ Home address

                  □ Current employers name                                            

                  □ Immigration status (including A-Number if applicable)

                  □ Date spouse became a US Citizen (if applicable)


 If you or your current spouse have been married more than once  gather general information about the ex-spouse, including:

                  □ Legal name and nicknames (including maiden name)  

                  □ Date of birth

                  □ Country of birth  

                  □ Home address

                  □ Current employers name  

                  □ Date marriage started     

                  □ Date marriage ended  

                  □ Reason marriage ended

                  □ Immigration status (including A-Number if applicable)  

                  □ Date ex-spouse became a US Citizen (if applicable)


 If you or your current spouse have been married more than once, obtain any of the following documents:

                  □ Divorce decree(s) 

                  □ Annulment(s)  

                  □ Death certificate (s)


If you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. Citizen, obtain your marriage certificate, and:


             □     Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. Citizen for the last 3 years, such as:

                            □ Birth certificates  

                            □ Certificate of Naturalization  

                            □ Certificate of Citizenship       

                            □ The inside of the front cover and signature page of your spouse's current US Passport; and

            □     If married more than once, proof of termination of all prior marriages for you and your spouse, such as

                            □ Divorce decree(s)  

                            □ Annulment(s)  

                            □ Death certificate (s); and

            □       Documents referring to you and your spouse, such as:

                            □ Tax, returns, bank accounts, lease, mortgages, or birth certificate of children; or

                            □ IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years


 Travel Information & Document Required

 All passports used to travel abroad within the last five years (including expired passports)

 Gather a list of all the trips you have taken in the last 5 years outside of the United States that have lasted more than 24 hours, including:


                    □ Destination 

                    □ Date you left the United States  

                    □ Date you returned to the United States

 If you have taken any trips outside of the United states that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), gather  documents that demonstrate you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:


                  □ An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax returned listing tax information for the last 5 years

                      (or for 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. Citizen.

                  □  Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs


 Good Moral Character Information & Documentation Required

If you have a criminal record; have failed to pay required family support; have failed to pay your taxes; have failed to register with the Selective Service you should obtain the following information and documents:


 Criminal Record

 If you have ever been detained or arrested by any law office for any reason, gather the following documents:

                  □ Copy of your FBI Identification Record ($18 to request from the FBI CJIS Division – Record Request); or

                  □ Certificate of disposition for ANY/ALL arrests and citations/tickets (even if charges were dismissed or expunged) including:

                                □ Date and location of any arrests/citations       

                                □ Nature of offense

                                □ Outcome of Case


 Failure to Pay or File Income Tax

 If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, obtain:

                 □ All correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file


 If you have any Federal state or local taxes that are overdue, obtain:

                □ A signed agreement from the IRS showing that you have filed with an arrangement to pay.

                □ Documentation from the IRS or state local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program


 Child Support and Alimony

 If you have dependent spouse or child(ren) who do not live with you, obtain:

                □ Any court document or government order to provide financial support; an  

                □ Evidence of your financial support, such as:

                              □ Cancelled Check        

                              □ Money and Receipts     

                              □ A court or agency printout of child support payments


 Removal, Exclusions and Deportation Proceedings

 If you have or had any removal, exclusion or deportation proceedings since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident,  obtain;

               □ Your complete immigration history by filing a Freedom of Information Act Form with USCIS


 Selective Service

 If you are male born after 1960 and you were in the United States between the ages of 18 to 26, you must have registered with Selective Service, even if undocumented. (Lawful non-immigrants living in the US are exempt e.g. those with student visas, tourist visas, work visas)


              □ If you registered with Selective Service bring your SS number and registration date

              □ If you are a male between the ages of 18 to 26 and have not registered, visit or call 847-688-6888  to register